The first in a series of short articles on my favourite parts of the world… and why I love them so much.
And to start at the very top, here is why India is my all-time favourite destination.
1. The colours
India wouldn’t be India without the colours. The temples, adorned in oranges and greens and reds; the flowers; the painted trucks; and the saris… oh, the saris.
2. The bustle
Before I went to India for the first time, I was truly intimidated by the thought of the throngs of people and the crowded streets. And you know what? It ended up being one of the things I love. India’s busy streets aren’t threatening (for the most part – always keep your guard up). It is simply a billion people, existing in a small space in their own small way. It’s a community, and I love it.
3. The food
Oh my god, the food. I love Indian food – I’m a Brit, after all, I grew up with it – and the real thing is just the same, only better. I’m also vegetarian, and India is the most veggie-friendly country on the planet. Enough said.
4. The flowers
I have no idea where all the flowers in India are grown, but they are EVERYWHERE. Garlands for every occasion. The local ladies often wear them in their hair, but sadly it just doesn’t look the same on my blonde…
5. The lack of pretence
India is unapologetic. Rich, poor, young, old, the fashionable and the unfortunate… they are all there for the world to see. However uncomfortable it may sometimes be, there is no pretence; everyone is just themselves, and open curiosity is the norm. It’s liberating.
So there you have it: the reasons why I love India. Do you have a favourite country? What do you like about it?
Heading to amazing India? Get some more inspiration in my other posts!
- 9 Amazing animal experiences from around the world!
- Gandhi’s home state: The 12 top Gujarat highlights
- Central and Southern India: What to do in almost every state
- North and East India: What to do in almost every state
- Shatrunjaya: The Jain pilgrimage site of Palitana, Gujarat
- Dharavi slum tour: Discover the true entrepreneurs of Mumbai
- Top sites you shouldn’t miss on a Kolkata day tour
- 6 Incredible Reasons to visit Tamil Nadu
- Amritsar: the jewel of the Punjab
- Traditional dances of the world: Discover local dance and folk dance